Research Output per year
Dr. Anh Tran is a Senior Lecturer in Humanitarian Engineering at the Faculty of Engineering, Environments and Computing. She is also the head of research for the UNESCO UNITWIN Network of Humanitarian Engineering, in which Coventry University is the global lead institution.
Prior to this post, she worked at Flinders University and the University of South Australia as a lecturer and research assistant. She received a BEng (Honours) and a Ph.D degree in Chemical Engineering from the University of Queensland. She also has more than 10 years’ experience in international development work in South-east Asia, South Asia, South America and Africa and remote Indigenous Australian communities. Her projects focused on a holistic approach to community development around water, sanitation, renewable energy, waste management, education and community empowerment.
Anh’s research in humanitarian engineering focusses on renewable energy, sustainable waste management, water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH), agriculture, humanitarian applications of 3D printing and unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs i.e. drones) and social entrepreneurship, applied to both developed and developing countries. She is also interested in engineering education.
Her research projects are:
- Renewable energy systems for off-grid communities in challenging environments and context
- Development of user-driven control of community renewable energy micro-grid systems using wireless sensor network
- Low-energy drinking water filtration system with nanopore membranes
- Fluorescence spectroscopy to assess water quality in areas of poor sanitation and disaster relief
- Floating biodigesters – a renewable energy, waste and sanitation solution for communities living on the water and the social enterprise models to bring this technology to market
- 3D printing and scanning for surgical visual aid in developing countries
- Humanitarian drones for disaster relief - thermal imaging for search and rescue,
- Global competencies and intercultural awareness of engineers
- STEM outreach education to raise aspiration
- Engineering Education
Research output: Research - peer-review › Conference proceeding
Research output: Research › Paper